As you all know Apple has replaced physical Home button in iPhone 7 (Plus) with a new solid-state Home button. The classical method of pushing the Home button is not possible on this new technology. Now it is pressure sensitive. You won’t hear the usual click sound when applying the pressure on it, but instead of that you’ll get an hepatic feed which is triggered by the underlying Hepatic Engine when you try to press it.
The removal of physical home button means that we can’t use the traditional method to enter DFU mode and to reboot our iPhone forcibly.
In older models, like iPhone 6(s), 5(s) etc we follow these simple steps to get the DFU mode.
1) Power off your iPhone.
2) Now hold down the Power Button and then the home button for exactly 10 seconds.
3) Release the power button but continue holding down Home button for another 10 seconds.
In iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, we can’t follow this route to get this state. In these models, we’ll have to follow a different approach.
How to Force Restart iPhone 7:
If your device is not responding due to any problem and even power button is also not working, you can give it a force-reboot.
- Step 1. Press and hold the Power button on the right side of your iPhone
- Step 2. While you are still holding the On/Off button, hold down the volume down key on the left side. The interval between step 1 and step 2 should not be more than 3-5 seconds.
- Step 3. Keep pressed both the buttons until screen goes black, which means iPhone is turned off, and then displays the Apple logo.
How to Put iPhone into DFU Mode:
- Step 1) Turn off your iPhone.
- Step 2) Connect it with iTunes. This step is optional but it tells us through a message whether the device is DFU or not.
- Step 3) Now keep hold the Power button (On/Off) on the right side.
- Step 4) As soon as Apple logo appears on the screen, hold down the volume down button.
- Step 5) Keep pressed both buttons for exactly 10 seconds. (Apple logo will disappear after about 6-7 seconds but you must keep holding both buttons for another 3-4 seconds, for total 10 seconds).
- Step 6) Now release Power button but keep pressed the volume download for another 5-7 seconds. If you see Apple logo or “Plug into iTunes” screen at this stage, you probably didn’t follow the procedure the right way. You’ll need to start again.
- Step 7) If the screen is still black and iTunes shows you that the iPhone is in recovery mode, your device is exactly into DFU mode.
How to Get Rid of DFU State:
If your iPhone is in DFU mode, it can not be turned on with the use of Power button alone. You’ll have to follow the “Force Restart” method we have already described above. In short words, hold down Power and Volume down buttons until Apple Logo appears.
In short, Volume down button acts like a Home button to enter DFU mode in iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.