Update: iPhone Dev Team has released another tool “JailbreakMe” which makes jailbreaking as simple as ABC. It works on iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS (New and Old bootrom), iPhone 3G, iPod Touch (both MC and Non-MC models) on iOS 4.0/4.0.1 and iPad on iOS 3.2.1. Read all the posts tagged with JailbreakMe 2.0 here.
A few days back Apple released the new iPhone OS 4.0 beta version. And we already know that Dev-Team has got success in jailbreaking iPhone OS 4.0, but you will be amused to read that a new test version of Redsn0w 0.9.5 (currently for Mac only) has been released by iPhone-Dev team to jailbreak this new iPhone OS.
Resdsnow 0.9.5 version is the first software to jailbreak new iOS 4 ( formally known as iPhone OS 4 ) on certain devices. Even this version was used to jailbreak the iPhone OS 4 (iOS 4) beta release. Before we go for tutorial to jailbreak iOS 4, we want to share the information about the versions and subversions of Redsn0w 0.9.5.
- The first version 0.9.5 beta was released to jailbreak the iOS 4 beta version.
- Version 0.9.5 beta 2 released to resolve the sms and mms data issues in iOS 4 beta version.
- 0.9.5 beta 4 version was specifically released to support iOS 4 beta 4.
- Redsnow 0.9.5 beta 5 was released to support the iOS 4 on certain devices and to enable the the multitasking and homescreen wallpapers on iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G.
- Then the other version 0.9.5 beta 5 – 3 was released to support the hacktivation.
- Some users reported iBooks issues after jailbreaking the iPhone/iPod with redsnow, so a new version 0.9.5 beta 5 – 4 was released to resolve such issues. For this purpose you have to reinstall this new version of redsnow without going through all those jailbreaking steps (mentioned below).
- To resolve the APN and MMS issues on final iOS 4, a new version 0.9.5 beta 5 – 5 is released. If you have already jailbroken your idevice, simply re-run this new version without restoring…just deselect cydia if you do that.
For now, the redsn0w beta release supports only the iPhone3G and iPod Touch 2G at today’s 4.0.
Step by Step Tutorial to Jailbreak iPhone 3G and iPod Touch 2G with Redsnow (HowTo Guide):
- Download the latest iOS 4 on your PC.
- Update your iDevice to this latest iOS release via iTunes.
- Now start your the latest release of Redsnow 0.9.5 and point it to stock iOS 4 which you used to update your iDevice.
- Now select cydia and other options.
- Before you press the next button, make it sure that your iphone is switched off and connected to the PC.
- Continuously press the Power and button to boot the iDevice in recovery mode.
- Hold down the “Power” button and then “Home” key. Keep both the buttons pressed for few seconds. Now release the Power button but keep pressed the HOME button until installation begins.
- Rest of the work will be done by Redsnow.
- After the update process is complete, your phone will restart automatically. At this stage the Cydia icon will be blank. Go to the Sources panel and add http://apt.saurik.com/cydia-3.7 repo.
- Restart the phone and the original cydia logo will be there.
Download the latest Redsnow version here
Download the iTunes