Though the beta version of iOS 5 has been made available to those who are registered with Apple's Developers Program but the final and public version will be released later this fall. iOS 5 brings many new features e.g., Notification Center, Reminders, Tabbed Safari, iMessaging, Twitter integration etc, and due to these exciting and new features many users, esp those who don't have developer account, want to enjoy them on their devices.
A workaround is already available which activates your device after upgrading to iOS 5 even if its UDID is not registered with Apple. Here is how you can do it if you have not read it anywhere else.
First of all update your device to latest iOS 5 which can be downloaded after spending some time on Google. After you have successfully upgraded your device to iOS 5 using iTunes, follow these simple steps.
1. Triple click the home button. This will activate Voice Over.
2. Triple click the home button and Emergency Call will appear.
3. Click on Emergency Call and, while it’s switching, swipe your three fingers down.
4. The Notification Center will appear!
5. Click on the Weather widget. The Weather app will load.
6. Click on the home button to exit to the iPhone’s springboard.
Your device should now be activated and fully functional with the iOS 5 firmware.
Though you can enjoy the new features on your iPhone after activating it using the above mentioned method, but this method also contains many disadvantages like:
- If you device is not factory-unlocked, you will lose the ability to unlock it until and unless Apple releases the final iOS 5 version and iPhone Dev Team finds an unlock solution.
- If you don't have Developer Account and use the above method for activation, you won't receive cellular network on your iPhone, meaning no calls, no texts.
- If you have not saved the SHSH blobs for iOS 4.3.x or any previous version, you won't be able to downgrade too.
- Many features are still missing in beta version like multitouch gestures etc.
- It is to be noted that iOS 5 beta version also updates the baseband.
- Imp: It is believed that Apple will patch the hole in next iOS 5 beta version which allows users to activate the device without needing to have Dev Account. If Apple does so, your device will become mere a paperweight until Apple releases the final and public iOS 5 version.
Now it's up to you whether you want to install iOS 5 on your device or keep the existing version.
In case you have already installed iOS 5 beta version and now want to downgrade it to any previous version, you can follow our step by step guide mentioned here provided you have SHSH saved with Cydia servers for the iOS which you are downgrading to.