The new version of Sn0wbreeze v2.9.7 brings the official support for recently released iOS 6.0.1. This version also supports iOS 6.0. It is to tell you, in case you don’t know, the core functions of Sn0wbreeze are based on bootrom level exploit and this is the reason it is compatible with iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS only.
The newer devices which are powered by improved processors (A5, A5x, A6, A6x) won’t get any benefit from this updated version because there is no bootrom level exploit available for them, though jailbreakers like p0sixninja are working hard to find such exploit in them. So iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad 2, 3, 4 and iPad Mini are out of its range.
Here is the complete official update from iH8s0w’s blog, the developer behind Sn0wbreeze 2.9.7.
What is New?
- Added 6.0 (10A403)/6.0.1 (10A523) support. (Only includes iPhone 3GS & A4 devices).
- The 6.0/6.0.1 is currently a tethered based jailbreak via iBooty (except for iPhone 3GS old bootrom users).
- SAM is built-in for iOS 6 hacktivations. (Hacktivated phones can reboot to a semi-tethered state after being activated [rather than just hang at the Apple Logo]). Kudos @sbingner!
- Use iFaith mode after selecting/downloading the appropriate IPSW for your device. You will then be prompted to browse for SHSH blobs for the IPSW you have selected.
- Remember to enter a PWNED DFU state with sn0wbreeze’s iREB button in the top bar of sn0wbreeze prior to (SHIFT + Restoring) the custom signed IPSW!
iREB & iOS 6:
- Due to some changes in iOS 6, the current public standalone version of iREB will NOT enter a proper PWNED DFU state for restoring to custom iOS 6 IPSWs. An update for the standaloneversion should come sometime this week. In the meantime, use the iREB tab located in sn0wbreeze’s top status bar to enter a proper PWNED DFU state.
As stated many times in the past, sn0wbreeze cannot be updated to work on A5(X)/A6(X) devices until a low level exploit in DFU or iBoot is found and made public.
A5(X)/A6(X) Baseband Preservation/Hacktivation?
For those running A5(X)/A6(X) devices and need to preserve your baseband, there is nothing you can do at the moment. For those wanting to hacktivate, the only advice I can give is to buy the carrier’s SIM (the one its locked to obviously) on ebay. The SIM does not have to be active with the carrier to activate the phone.
- Windows 8 users currently need to use this workaround to run sn0wbreeze.
- iPad baseband will fail to flash on iOS 4.0 –> iOS 4.2.1 restores.