Apeman, an android hacker, has gained access to recovery mode on Sony Google TV which is being considered the first step towards Google TV root. By rooting a phone, we gain access to a new level of customization but what if you could root your Google TV?
Android market is expected to come to Google TV in the first quarter of 2011 along with thousands of apps and games but hackers are already active to find a way to install apps and games on it before the official apps are released. Here is the step by step guide to get into Google TV’s recovery mode.
- Have everything plugged into the unit except the power cord. Have the power cord in your hand.
- Press and hold the power button and plug the unit in.
- Continue to hold down the power button for 3 seconds after plugging it in, then release the power button.
- Wait a couple of seconds and it will say Sony, then you will see the recovery screen.
- After it loads, press and hold the connect button on the unit. Then follow the directions at the bottom of the screen (Press and hold ALT+ENTER) for 8 seconds/until the bottom message changes. It will change back to it saying that you have to press the CONNECT button, but your remote IS connected.
- You can now press the numbers assigned to the commands!
“I am going to work on trying to find working drivers and I am going to try to use the Android SDK Tools to install some applications, or at the least try to execute some shell commands. Hopefully we can root it!”
Video of Sony Google TV Recovery Menu Hack:
Disclaimer: This guide is for educational purpose only. Use this method at your own risk. It could possibly brick your unit or/and void the warranty. The site/author/hacker will not be responsible for any damage.