‘Root Access’ is to browse the system files of maemo device and it is normally not required for day to day operation. But you need it to install the themes because theme making software for Nokia N900 does not allow you to make the final theme files in .deb format which are installed without accessing the Root of your device.
There are different methods for Root Access, but this one is simplest.
- First of all you need to enable the “Extras”. You can do it by simply opening this link on your maemo device. You can do it manually as well:
- Go into the Application manager.
- Tap the menu -> Tools -> Application catalog…
- Double-tap maemo Extras.
- Uncheck Disabled.
- Now install this Rootsh on your device.
- Open xTerminals on your device and run this command
- Now you are able to access the root of your device.
P.S.:Warning: The steps described on this page could lead to severe damage to your system and/or device. Proceed at your own peril. It is likely that any breakage would be fixed by reflashing your device: however this will lose any settings not backed up.