Apple has just released iOS 4.2.1 for second generation Apple TV after fixing many bugs esp video flickering problem. iOS 4.2.1 build 8F202 update also fixes audio issues and a problem where the device goes to sleep and doesn’t wake up.
Apple TV2G update is available now directly from the Apple TV update menu. We are also posting a direct download link after the break from where you can download iOS 4.2.1 iPSW file and save it on your PC for other purposes like manual restore and jailbreaking.
The changes introduced in iOS 4.2.1 ATV2 are:
Apple TV 2G 4.2.1 iOS Change Log
- TV compatibility: Addresses issues that may cause the screen to flicker or display incorrect color on some older TVs.
- Wake from sleep: Addresses an issue where Apple TV may not wake from sleep.
- Audio: Addresses an issue where audio may not be heard on some TV models after switching from another input.
- Stability and performance: Apple TV software Update 4.2.1 includes stability and performance fixes for Apple TV.
How to Update Apple TV to iOS 4.2.1:
- Using Apple TV remote select “Settings” and go into “General” menu.
- Select “Update Software” option.
- ATV2 will check whether latest update is available or not. When software updater finds new version, it will notify you.
- Click “download and install” option to update your device.
- Here is the direct download link for Apple TV2G iOS 4.2.1 Build 8F202 firmware version.
Note: There is no untethered jailbreak available for iOS 4.2.1 on AppleTV. But fortunately it has been jailbroken tethered using the un-official PwnageTool bundles developed by djayb6.
You can follow us on Twitter or join our Facebook fanpage to keep yourself updated on all the latest from Google, Microsoft and Apple.