Apple has released the Global Master Candidate of its new iOS 4 for developers and the public version will be released on June 21. Now the question might come in your mind, “Why should I update my iPhone/iPod OS to latest iOs4?”. The new iPhone OS 4 aka iOS 4 has got a lot of features which we have covered in our this post.
Installing iOS 4 is very simple and here is the procedure. You will need the iTunes 9.2 which is currently available for Mac users only (Update: now available for windows users too) and iOS 4 for your iPhone 3G, iPod Touch 3G and / or iPod touch 2G. iTunes 9.2 is not yet available for windows users but its release is being expected on June 21 for Windows.
- Download the latest iTunes 9.2 beta and install it on your Mac machine (iTunes 9.2 is out of beta now and available for windows too)
- Download the IPSW file of iOS 4 and save on your PC.
- Connect your iPhone with Mac using iTunes.
- Click on your device on the left sidebar of itunes.
- Now keep pressed ALT button and click on restore button in iTunes and find the IPSW file which you downloaded earlier. Make it sure that you restore your iDevice instead of update.
- The whole process will take 12-20 minutes.
It is highly recommended that you backup your iPhone before the update process. Some users find the pictures missing after update, try restoring the backup.
Note: This guide is for educational purpose only. Don’t try it if you don’t know what you are going to do. We don’t take any responsibility. ;)
If you want to jailbreak your iOS4, redsn0w 0.9.5 can be used for this purpose.
Update 1: If you want to update to latest iOS 4 public release (not this GM release), read our this procedure to perform the update process in 5 easy steps.