Apple has just released the first public beta version of its new OS for the iPhone and iPad. It means anyone can install this build on their devices after signing up with the public beta program using Apple ID and password, without using the developer account.
The developers who are already subscribed to the Apple Developer Program can install the beta updates of iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 even before it is released for the general public.
What is iOS 13 and iPadOS 13?
If you are not following the news from Apple recently, you may have missed the updates announced at WWDC 2019. During this event, Apple announced the next version for iPhone, which is called iOS 13 and the bifurcated version for iPad which is named as iPadOS 13.
We have already gathered some important features introduced in these new versions and compiled in the form of a list. You can read these 100+ features introduced in these latest updates in our previous post. The compatibility list is also updated to tell the readers which iPhone and iPad models are supported by this new version.
The developer versions of these OSs were released at the time of the announcement, but the first public build is rolled out for the general users today. Apple will release the final version of iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 later this fall.
How to: Method to Install iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 Public Beta
Before installing the public beta of iOS 13 and iPadOS 13, it is highly recommended that you make a back-up of your device using the latest version of iTunes.
If you are already using iCloud for the backup purpose, even then it is advised to use the iTunes to create a backup on your local computer. Please, don’t forget to make an encrypted backup, otherwise, some crucial information like Health data, passwords, etc may be lost during the process.
After you have completed the backup process, open Apple’s beta program website link on your computer or iPhone and sign up for the program.
If you are already a member of the program, you can directly sign in to the site on your iPhone and iPad using your Apple ID and password.
Now open https://beta.apple.com/profile link on your iDevice. Enter the Apple ID and password which you used in step 1.
Select the software, iOS or iPadOS, from the top menu and then download the configuration profile.
You will get a pop up saying, “This website is trying to open Settings to show you a configuration profile. Do you want to allow this?”. Just select “Allow”.
After the profile is downloaded on your device, install it while accepting the Consent message.
The device will restart to complete the installation of iOS 13 and iPadOS 13 configuration profiles.
Now go to Settings > General > Software Update and download and install the latest iOS 13 or iPadOS 13 Public betas on your device.
Tips for Successful Installation of iOS 13 & iPadOS 13:
- Make it sure you have created a backup before the installation.
- You should have enough space, probably more than 8 GB, free on your device to complete the process.
- Never try to install the update in a warm location. During and after the installation process, your mobile may heat up while optimizing the installed files and re-arranging the pre-installed apps.
- Charge your iPhone or iPad at least up to 80% before commencing the process.
- Avoid charging your iPhone or iPad during the installation process. Charging while installing a big update will generate a lot of heat.
- If you feel your mobile is hot after the update, turn off the WiFi or completely shut it down for 5-10 minutes.
- Don’t download any heavy games of apps while installing the updates.
- Use a fast and reliable connection to download the updates.
- You may experience a fast battery draining after the update. It happens because the update reshuffles a lot of files on your device and uses a lot of energy. After 24 to 48 hours, depending on the data stored on your device, the battery will start operating normally. So don’t panic about the battery for at least the next 48 hours.
If you followed all the steps and tips carefully, you’ll soon see your iPhone and iPad running on iOS 13 / iPadOS 13.
Please keep in mind that this public beta may contain many bugs and stability issues. Some of your apps may crash or not run problem on this version. You may also face a fast battery draining issue after installing iOS 13 or iPadOS 13. Your phone may also heat up after upgrading to iOS 13.
PS: You can downgrade to iOS 12 from iOS 13 anytime you like till the signing window is open.