Mobile security research team has updated his tool to jailbreak iOS 9.0 – iOS 9.1 with Pangu 9. It is now available for download for both Mac and Windows operating systems.
The step by step guide on how to jailbreak iOS 9.1 with the latest Pangu 9 tool for the supported iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch models is elaborated below.
The initial release of PanGu could jailbreak only those iDevices which can run 64-bit apps. It meant iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, and iPhone 5C users were out of luck. However, the latest release can jailbreak iOS 9.0 – iOS 9.1 with Pangu 9.
The team used a special bug found in iOS 9.1 and prior versions to develop this tool. According to the official clarification, we received through their twitter handle on this stance, it is clear now that iOS 9.2 or later versions are not supported in this build.
Pangu9 V1.3.0 used a kernel bug from Lokihardt to exploit iOS 9.1, and the bug is patched in iOS 9.2. Thanks Lokihardt for helping!
What if one’s device is not on iOS 9.1?
If your device is running iOS 9.2 or any later version, you can not jailbreak your iPhone with PanGu 9. (Note: The new version is now available for iOS 9.2 – iOS 9.3.3).
In case, you are on iOS 9.1 or any previous version of iOS 9, you are lucky. But beware! Never try to upgrade your device to the latest iOS firmware. Apple has already stopped signing iOS 9.1 and old firmware. Stay wherever you are. The hope for next iOS 9.3 / iOS 10 jailbreak is high.
Things You Should Know About iOS 9.0 – iOS 9.1 Jailbreak with Pangu 9 Include:
- Compatible iOS devices: iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 5s, 5C, 5, 4S, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 1, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2, iPod touch 6
- Compatible firmware Versions: iOS 9.0, 9.0.1, 9.0.2, and iOS 9.1
- Make sure you have backed up all data on your iPad/iPhone either to local PC drive using iTunes or on iCloud.
- The latest iTunes version should be installed on your Windows or Mac PC.
- You should have already downloaded Pangu iOS 9.1 jailbreak. If you don’t have done so, get the download links at the bottom of this post.
How to jailbreak iOS 9.1 with Pangu 9 step by step guide:
Fire up iTunes and connect your device to the PC using the USB cable.
Turn off Find my iPhone feature which can be found in Settings app under iCloud section.
Disable Passcode and Touch ID unlock if you have set any on your device. These options are also available in Settings app.
Press the Start button on the Pangu9 tool to begin the jailbreaking process.
Now simply follow the instructions provided by Pangu jailbreak tool. You’ll be asked to perform the following task by the tool.
– Back up your device first.
– After reboot, you’ll be asked to unlock the device and turn on AirPlane Mode again.
– Now you’ll have to run the Pangu app from your iPhone home screen.
After these tasks, you’ll get “Jailbreak Completed” pop-up on your PC screen. Your iPad, iPhone or iPod Touch will get a reboot and a new, shining Cydia app icon on the Homescreen.
Congratulations, you can now install your favorite Cydia apps and tweaks from the store.
Where to download Pangu 9 for iOS 9.1 jailbreak from?
- Pangu9 tool v1.3.0 for iOS 9.1 is available on Windows.
- Pangu9 tool v1.1.0 for iOS 9.1 on is the latest version on Mac
- You can download these versions our PanGu Download Section.
If your device is upgraded to iOS 9 using the built in OTA (over the air) software update, you might some problems during the process. It is recommended that you restore your device with the fresh iOS before Pangu 9 to jailbreak iOS 9.1.