Sn0wbreeze 1.7 lets you to perform tethered 4.0 jailbreak for iPhone 3GS with new bootrom and iPod touch 3 if you are on 3.1.2 or you have 3.1.2 SHSH blobs saved. The previous version 1.6.2 of sn0wbreeze already supports iPhone 3GS old bootrom, iPhone 3G and iPod touch 2G.
Here is a tweet from iH8sn0w, the developer of snowbreeze:
If you are not on 3.1.2 or you have not saved your 3.1.2 shsh blobs locally or on Cydia server, you can not use this tool for jailbreaking.
This new version (1.7) of Sn0wbreeze will be released tonight around 3 AM EST.
The whole procedure of jailbreaking for v1.7 will be same as discussed earlier, but we will keep you updating with the latest news. So stay tuned with us.
Update 1: Sn0wbreeze 1.7 has been released and you can download it from here.
Here are the complete instructions from, follow them at your own risk.
**BEFORE PROCEEDING, ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE YOUR PHONE BACKED UP!**
THIS TUTORIAL ASSUMES YOU ARE ALREADY ON 3.1.2!
WHAT YOU WILL NEED:
* An iPhone 3G[S] — new bootrom
* 3.1.2 already installed or 3.1.2 installed via SHSH blobs. <– Broken blackra1n’d devices will work. (Especially if Spirit messed you up!).
* Payload Pwner-r3 for the 3GS.
* sn0wbreeze V1.7
* iBooty V1.3
* LibUSB (64-Bit users read carefully!!!)
* 3.1.2/4.0 3GS firmware downloaded.
*NOTE : IF YOU HAVE THE SLEEP ISSUE, YOU WILL NEED TO RESTORE BACK TO 3.1.2 FIRST.*
STEP A : Installing LibUSB for iRecovery
Run this mini tool to detect your O/S + Arch. — Windows + Arch. Detector
WARNING : IF LIBUSB IS NOT INSTALLED PROPERLY, YOUR USB MIGHT NO LONGER WORK!
Windows XP Users download this installer — LibUSB Installer
Windows Vista/7 users RUNNING 32-Bit:
* Download the installer and run it in compatibility mode for Windows XP.
If you are a 64-Bit user, follow this tutorial — LibUSB 64-Bit Tut
Once LibUSB is installed iRecovery should be able to function now.
STEP B : Pwning iBEC + iBoot
I : Download this easy tool here — Payload Pwner-r3 for 3GS // It will help you create the payload + iBEC.
**SAVE THE PAYLOAD + iBEC WHERE iBooty is.**
STEP C : Making a Custom IPSW
I : Download sn0wbreeze V1.7 from here — sn0wbreeze V1.7
II : USE EXPERT MODE!
III : In General, Checkmark “Disable NOR Flash” <– THIS IS ESSENTIAL!!!!
IV : Build it. It will be on your Desktop.
**CUSTOM BOOT LOGOS THAT ARE MADE IN sn0wbreeze WILL NOT WORK ON NEW BOOTROMS!**
*Mac Users : PwnageTool does not have this option. I don’t think it will ever be in there. Use a Windows Virtual Machine or friends PC to create your firmware.*
STEP D: iBooty Prep.
Most of you know of the utility “iBooty” that I made for Aki_nG.
It will work as long as you place all of the correct files there.
I : Download iBooty GUI here — iBooty V1.3 and Extract it.
II : Extract your Custom IPSW created by sn0wbreeze with 7-Zip or another un-archiver.
III : Grab the kernelcache and bring it into the same folder as ibooty.
Aswell as DeviceTree from the folder “Firmware\all_flash\all_flash.n88ap.production\DeviceTree.n88ap”
* Rename your Kernel 4.0-Custom to “kernel.40”
* Rename your iBEC 4.0-Custom to “ibec.40”
* Rename your DeviceTree 4.0-Custom to “devtree.40”
Your folder should look like this :
– iboot.payload <– Created with Payload Pwner.
– devtree.40 <– Grabbed from Custom IPSW made by sn0wbreeze.
– ibec.40 <– Created with Payload Pwner.
– irecovery.exe <– Comes with iBooty.
– readline5.dll <– Comes with iBooty.
– iBooty.exe <– Comes with iBooty.
– kernel.40 <– Grab from Custom IPSW made by sn0wbreeze.
– sn0w.img3 <– Comes with iBooty.
– wait.img3 <– Comes with iBooty.
STEP E: Restoring to 4.0 + Booting
*MAKE SURE YOU ARE ON 3.1.2 WHEN DOING THIS*
I : Run iBooty and Select “Prepare Device for Custom Firmware”. Run the Process and if you see the image, you can proceed!
II : Now open iTunes and restore to the custom ipsw.
***WHEN DONE, YOUR DEVICE WILL GO INTO RECOVERY MODE. IT WONT BOOT.***
STEP F : Booting
I : Just Re-Run iBooty and select “Boot It”. If all goes well it will boot!