TomTom gets update to support the multitasking feature of new iOS 4. Now this app can be run in the background. Its working principle is very simple. When you arrive at your destination, it remains in the background but stops using the GPS and go into suspend mode.
If you leave the app while navigating and unplug from power, you will soon get a local notification asking if you would still like to navigate in the background, again allowing you to turn off background process without having to task manage. You can confirm that it is no longer running in the background by the new GPS arrow icon in the top bar next to the clock…if it’s gone, it’s not navigating.
The new changes in TomTom v1.4 are:
– IF YOU HAVE ALREADY UPGRADED TO APPLE IOS 4, YOU MUST INSTALL THE LATEST TOMTOM UPDATE, VERSION 1.4, TO CONTINUE USING THE APP.
– SEAMLESS NAVIGATION WHILE CALLING (iPhone 3GS only): See continuous visual instructions, even when you are on a call, so you still find your way. Now making and answering calls safely won’t slow you down.
– NEW, UPDATED MAPS: Because on average 15% of roads change every year, your TomTom app comes with the latest and most up-to-date map, ready to navigate. No mobile signal or data plan is required to browse your map and navigate to your destination.
– BACKGROUND NAVIGATION INSTRUCTIONS (iPhone 3GS & iPod touch 3rd Gen. only): Lets you see other apps on your screen while still receiving spoken turn-by-turn instructions.
– ROUTE SHARING: Share your route details with your contacts via email. Keep friends and family up to date with your plans.
– DEPARTURE REMINDER: Added to your calendar, departure reminders make you aware of when you need to get on the road.
– ECO ROUTES: Save money and reduce your impact on the environment by driving with these more fuel-efficient Eco Routes.
– CAR SYMBOLS: Personalize the car symbol on your driving screen. Choose from a range of car icons and symbols.
You can download this app from Apple’s iTunes for your iPhone, iPod, and iPad.
Want automatic updates? Subscribe to our RSS feed
Get Email Updates
sent directly to your inbox!